Friday 20 March 2015

Eclipse. What eclipse?

Today marked the beginning of spring, the beginning of the spring equinox. And what better way to do it than with a total eclipse. At least that was what we were told.
I had never really done any research into eclipses before, until a few days before the event when my friend came running to me telling me how spectacular they are. So I did my research, and she was right they are spectacular. I had never seen one in person, so I really looked forward to the event and looking directly at the sun. That was until my mum told me the night before, don't look directly at the sun it will blind you. I was a right idiot for not realising it sooner tbh.
Anyway morning of the eclipse, and I am so excited and ready to see this spectacular event that everyone was talking about. I needed a way of looking at it the eclipse without blinding myself, so I looked into it online and I found out that you could use a colander and shine the light onto paper.
Ok so I am thinking yes this is going to be great and amazing, can't wait. Then rang the bell all ready with my colander to go outside and watch the eclipse. We waited and we waited for the moon to finally fully cover the sun, surely it should be happening by now? We continued to wait, it got colder and still the sun was there. Eventually the bell rang again and we had to go back inside, but where was the diamond ring and complete darkness?
Well turns out it depends where you are in northern Europe as to how dark it gets. I thought this was such a shame while those in Scotland chilling with there diamond rings and we were just here freezing our fingers off.
Don't get me wrong, the event is still amazing and spectacular. But it leaves me with one burning question, one of those unavoidable ones. What eclipse?

1 comment:

  1. haha lib, this is very funny! i really enjoyed the eclipse though, the atmosphere was so great!

    ReplyDelete